After investing in a huge tub of coconut oil - mainly to use in healthier cooking - I found myself struggling to get through it.
I did a little research on the product itself to see where it was safe to use. Lucky for you, I've compacted some of its best uses (most tried and tested by me).
1. Mask/Conditioner - Coconut oil works great as a hair mask! Apply to dry or damp hair, focusing mostly on the middle to ends of your locks. Then leave for around half an hour, collected in a shower cap. It's important that you don't leave it on for much longer than an hour as it can have a reversing effect, leaving your hair smelling not so sweet and a little greasy.
2. Taming Frizz - Everyone's hair can get a little frizzy sometimes and coconut oil is a great way to hide this. Take a very small amount and apply where needed. You can also use it to tame those annoying split ends.
3. Heat Protector - Before drying your hair take a small amount of the oil in your hands and tease it in to the middle to ends of your hair. Avoid your scalp/roots as it's easy for it to collect in one spot.
1. Moisturiser - Like most oils coconut is great for your skin and will work really well as a moisturiser. Simply rub it on your arms, legs, neck, etc after a shower. Your skin will be left with a dewy glow and softer than ever.
2. Skin Treatment - If you suffer from eczema or stretch marks then it's worth giving coconut oil a try. Gently soothe it in to the affected area twice daily. It will take a little while to work but the results are incredible and you won't have to use any creams packed with chemicals.
3. Shaving Cream - I'm not a fan of buying shaving cream, it's pricey and often left my skin sore. After trying coconut oil I was hooked. It's soothing to the skin and provides a close shave, meaning you stay smooth for longer.
1. Cleanser/Make Up Remover - Take a teaspoon of coconut oil and massage in to your face. It will aid in removing your make up. When used to remove mascara it leaves you with stronger, healthier lashes, after using it for four weeks I noticed my eyelashes falling out less. For the best results, move your first three fingers in circular motions of your eyelids for a few minutes then gently wipe away with a cotton pad - this technique will also work for the rest of your face.
2. Eye Cream - To use around your eyes, administer a pea sized amount to your eyelid (up to your eyebrow) and underneath your bottom lashes (stop just before your cheekbone). This use of coconut oil can aid dark circles and puffiness.
3. Face Scrub - In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with a little salt and use as an exfoliator - you could also add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil if you're blemish prone.
Substitute the salt for sugar if you prefer a softer scrub. As sugar is generally smaller it will be less abrasive.
4. Lip Balm - Coconut oil work wonders on chapped, dry or sensitive lips. Use it as you would any regular lip balm. Scoop a little in to a small tub so you can keep it with you on the go.
- A little goes a very long way!
- Coconut oil melts at body temperature, so rubbing the oil between your fingers will be enough.